Sunday, March 15, 2009

Recently in Wenchiland...

Been a while since I've posted anything of any substance anywhere...

Thursday saw us marking a year since we arrived in Beijing. A whole year. I was going to go with a photo montage or a list of stuff, but I'm tired and I just don't have the creative energy. Sorry about that, I guess I fail... ummm... yay us?

Friday we decided to enjoy Beijing. There was school for LadyP, lunch with Dadda, ice-cream at Cold Rock, Flower markets where I bought some fresias and poppies and some handpainted butterflies for LadyP's room. We love flower markets. LadyP goes up to random bunches of flowers, sniffs them and says "Luffley!". Ayi stayed late for us and looked after P so Mr C and I could have some time out in the evening, which consisted of...

...Himself heading off to The Den (quite the institution, where there is beer and Aussie rugby and mates) after work. I attempted to catch a taxi to meet him there and WHAT IS IT WITH TAXI DRIVERS GOING HOME AT 6pm??? Seriously, it's a right shocker! Anyho... so decided instead to embrace my inner white woman and indulge my laziness, catching a rickshaw to The Den (hey, I'm pregnant, it is my perogative). At this point, I will cut most of the rest of this post out as the rickshaw ride is an entry on it's own!

From The Den (a brief encounter), we headed to the ANZA drinks over at the Hilton, where I met one of Mr C's colleagues and his wife and was treated with THE MOST SOUR lemon lime and bitters I have ever had in my life! And then from there, we jumped in a taxi and found a random restaurant, which turned out to be Tepanyaki. We had a nice night...

Saturday saw us take LadyP over to Solana for her very first ice-skating lesson. I get the feeling kids need to be about 4 to go out on the ice, but they restrict this by height - 90cms, which is probably pretty accurate for Chinese kids, but my little western baby towers over this, so it was sweet. She has been watching the ice skaters at the rink in the building where Mr C works ever since we first got here and the other day she said to us that she'd like to try it.

We hired some skates and a coach (I can skate, just not when I'm 34 weeks pregnant) and my little Ice Princess stepped out onto the ice for the very first time. The coach sat her on a chair and pushed her out. As we expected, there were a couple of tumbles, but she didn't shed a tear and kept going back for more... to the point that when it came time to leave, she bolted to get back on the ice and Mr C had to crash-tackle her! The coach was impressed with her, being a first timer and almost 3, the coach was impressed that Pers could walk on the ice at all (sometimes unassisted). So as you can imagine, I was a proud mum and I think we'll take her back for more, she's certainly keen...

No comments:

Post a Comment